Per federal and state law, pregnant and parenting students and their children shall be entitled to participate in teenage parent programs designed to provide comprehensive educational and ancillary services to facilitate the student’s completion of high school. Students participating in teenage parent programs shall be eligible for all services afforded to students enrolled in programs pursuant to Section 1003.54, Florida Statutes and Rules 6A-6.05221 and 6A-6.05291, F.A.C.
The Teen Parent Program is a voluntary program provided by the Wakulla County Public School District. The program is designed to meet the needs of pregnant and parenting teens. There are two program options:
- Program Option 1 - Student may remain at their attendance area school - Students who choose to remain in their attendance area school may receive childcare vouchers for free or reduced childcare services through the North Florida Child Development Bright Beginning Preschool.
- Program Option 2 - Student may attend a teen parent program site - Students who are pregnant and parenting teens may choose to enroll in a teen parent program site offered by the District. Students will continue in their academic studies while their child attends at the teen parent program site. A teen parent program site is located at
Eligibility and Enrollment
Pregnant and parenting teens seeking to receive childcare services or enrollment at a teen parent program site should contact a school-based representative (school social worker, guidance counselor, school nurse, or student success specialist) at the school where the student is enrolled or contact the district office for program information.
The following documents will be needed to enroll in the Teen Parent Program:
* In cases where the teen parent does not have a copy of the baby’s birth certificate, a Verification of Age Form can be used; however, it is only valid for one month. When no Social Security card is available, the teen parent must show proof of applying for a Social Security card.
- Completed district application
- Picture ID of teen parent
- * Baby’s birth certificate or a copy of Verification of Age Form
- * Baby's Social Security number, and Social Security card if available
- Childcare services will only be paid by the voucher when the teen parent is present in school.
- Student must maintain good attendance; no more than five (5) unexcused absences may be earned per semester.
- Student must maintain a 2.0 grade point average in their parenting classes.
- Additional program policies are cited in the teen parent packet.